Did you know that India also has a method to treat this condition, sans all the ill effects of allopathic drugs? Yes, you can control diabetes with Naturopathy, here’s everything you need to know about the form of medicine and what you can expect when you opt for Naturopathy as a way to control diabetes.
In allopathy it is believed that a person suffers from diabetes because of the malfunctioning of the pancreas, but according to Dr Anjali Sharma, Senior Consultant, Naturopathy, Action Group of Hospitals, in Naturopathy a person suffers from diabetes due to, ‘pathological causes, hereditary factors, congenital problems, faulty lifestyle and the build-up of toxins in the body.’
We also asked Dr Anjali about the kind of treatment a person with diabetes can expect, here are excerpts form the interview.
What kinds of treatment will a person have to undergo once diagnosed with diabetes?
A number of treatments can be administered to completely cure a person of diabetes. A few methods are:
- Diet therapy: This therapy is not only given to regulate blood sugar levels but a patient is also prescribed certain juices are to help improve the disorder.
- Hydrotherapy: In this form of therapy a combination of baths, packs and warm water enema are given as a remedy. Hydrotherapy helps improve a person’s metabolism and controls blood sugar levels, enhances the body’s capability to use glucose and the enema helps cleanse toxins from the colon, detoxify the system.
- Mud therapy: Helps eliminate toxins and corrects imbalances in the digestive and endocrinal systems (which are normally under-active in diabetics).
- Yoga: Yoga asanas improve functions of the liver, pancreas and digestive system that are beneficial in treating diabetes. some asanas that are prescribed are – Merudantasna (utthitapadasana), Vipareeta karani Mudra, Pavanamuktasana, Dhanurasana, Vajrasana, Kati Chakrasana, Udhva Hstottansana, Pada hastasana, Trikonasana, Matsyasana,Shavasana, Bhujangasana, Ardha Matsyndrasana, Ushtrasana, Paschimottanasana, Vakrasana, Surya Namaskar, Mandukasna and sukhshma Vyayamas.
The other methods given are chromo therapy, heliotherapy, pranayam and kriyas.
What lifestyle changes will they have to make?
Diabetics will have to change a lot of their lifestyle patterns. They will have to adhere to a low carbohydrate diet and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Apart from that, their Naturopathic doctor will teach them not only the dietary care, but also when to exercise, how much to exercise and what exercises to be done. They will be encouraged to get five days of exercise a week and learn to manage stress. Also they will be given a Dincharya (a set of daily activities they need to do) to be followed.
How quickly can they expect a change in their sugar levels?
The time from when treatments will show a changes is different for every individual, it depends on factors like
- Duration of disorder
- Level of control over their lifestyle
- Person’s general health status and body’s natural healing power
- Also, the effect of medications
If all the factors are in synch a patient will be able to see changes from the first week of inculcating a Naturopathic lifestyle.
What precautions will they have to take while on the treatment?
They will have to follow the instructions given by the Naturopathy physician completely.
Are there any side effects of the treatment?
Naturopathy treatments are natural, prescribed according to the individual’s ailment and is administered with constant monitoring, so there are no side effects.
What lifelong changes will they have to make?
Patients will have to maintain a healthy lifestyle; they have to eat right, exercise hard and maintain their weight and body and stop smoking and drinking alcohol. Leading a healthy lifestyle is all you need to keep diseases away.